- Buy nowFourth Edition
- Buy nowKindle Edition
Heart disease can brutally interrupt our happiness and enjoyment of life; coronary heart disease remains the single most common cause of premature death in the UK. In Heart Health, expert cardiologist Dr Graham Jackson takes the reader on a voyage of discovery and explanation in his clearly written and good-humoured text, which should allay fear through awareness of what heart disease is all about.
This book includes advice on healthy living, giving up smoking, HRT, sex & relationships and much more. This book is all about you and your heart: how to keep your heart healthy, or - if it has been affected by heart disease in some way - how to make it as strong as possible.
It is never too late to take action to strengthen your heart, and armed with this guide you will have the confidence to look after both your heart and your health!
- Answers over 420 real questions on all aspects of heart health - from coronary heart disease to angina, from palpitations to vascular disease
- Explains what causes heart disease and tells you how to prevent problems or how to deal with them if they arise
- Tells you everything you need to know about healthy eating and taking exercise - and the dangers of miracle diets and unproven treatments
- Provides an easy-to-follow plan to adapt your lifestyle for a full and active life
- Tackles the questions you may feel uneasy asking your doctor
- I am 46 and sometimes feel odd sensations in my chest. Are these to do with my heart? How will I know if I have a heart problem?
- I know people who have given up smoking then put on weight. How can I avoid this?
- Can you tell me more about blood pressure? Why is it serious if it becomes high?
- I was told that all cholesterol was bad for you. Now I read that there is a ‘good cholesterol’ and ‘bad cholesterol’. What’s the difference?
- Which is more important - to avoid foods high in cholesterol or saturated fats?
- I have a very stressful job. Am I more likely to get heart problems?
- I have felt well since being on HRT but I am worried about its effects on my heart and the risk of breast cancer - what should I do?
- I have been prescribed beta-blockers for my angina. What are these?
- What should I do to help my recovery after my heart attack?
- Should I be taking aspirin?
Table of Contents:
Part 1 Introduction
Part 2 How your heart works
Part 3 Coronary Artery disease
Part 4 Angina
Part 5 Heart attacks
Part 6 Heart failure
Part 7 Palpitations
Part 8 Valve disease
Part 9 Sex and the heart
Part 10 Diet
Part 11 Exercise
“One of the most straightforward and helpful books on heart disease that I have ever read.” Heart News
“Busy doctors, or dissatisfied heart patients, couldn’t do better than invest in Dr Jackson’s latest book… devoted to questions that patients ask and answers the doctor wishes he had given if only he’d had the time.” Dr Thomas Stuttaford, The Times
About the Author:
Dr Graham Jackson FESC, FACC, FRCP is Honorary Cardiology Consultant, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, London. He is a Fellow of both the European Society of Cardiology and the American College of Cardiology, and Chairman of the Sexual Dysfunction Association.